Oral sedation is used to provide a relaxing and anxiety-free experience for patients who may be uncomfortable receiving dental treatment. It enables individuals who may be too afraid to go to the dentist to receive the dental care they need while avoiding the common apprehension known as “dental phobia”.
How is the oral sedation administered?
Oral sedation is the administration of anti-anxiety medication by mouth prior to the patient’s dental appointment. This medication offers the patient a deeper level of relaxation than nitrous oxide and may make you sleepy. At Gulfside Periodontics, the medication is administered on the premises with detailed pre- and post- appointment instructions.
Oral Sedation Instructions:
- Do NOT drive while taking sedatives and for 24 hours after discontinuing sedatives.
- You should NOT operate complicated machinery or devices, or make important decisions, such as signing documents, etc.
- A responsible adult must escort the patient to and from the appointment.
- If you are not having IV sedation, then you can have a light meal two hours prior to your appointment.
- Do NOT drink alcohol while taking oral sedation medication(s). Doing so can cause severe reactions.
Call Ocean Springs Office Phone Number 228-875-1881 with any questions or to schedule an appointment.